Selfies fighting back
Sadly in today's society, self portraits have become the term, Selfie. This term has basically taken over the world. You could go through any social media and type in #selfie or just selfie for that matter and you will find millions of pictures of random people's faces or a group of people's faces. While you do through this you might even catch a picture of your someone you know. Like your friend, your co worker, a teacher you know or even your parents.
With this being such a big trend it is practically everywhere, which lead to the creation of the selfie stick. The selfie stick allows you creates the illusion that someone else is talking the picture of you but really it's just you holding your phone far away using a stick to hold up your phone.
![]() |
| Articles about selfie sticks (http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/museums-ban-selfie-sticks/) |
From reading that small portion of the post you probably already know what side of this trend I am on if you don't already know me in person. Yet, I am going to tell you what side I am on. I don't enjoy taking selfies very much, though I have done this once. I can say that I don't like it because I have already tried it once.
With selfies being such a big things, I also hear about something bad about the seflie sticks. I heard about how selfie sticks are hurting other people and damaging the things around them. Which doesn't not surprise me at all. This lead selfie sticks being banned in places like museums.
In a recent article I read that you can read too here, it talks about how why selfie sticks are banned in places like art museums. This is because that they are worried that when trying to get the perfect selfie you might knock something or someone over when moving around with the stick extended.
This is shows how self absorbed the world is now. We first start the trend of taking selfies, which turns into companies created things to get money from this trend that has been taking over the world that will not stop because selfies have been going on for a very long time. It's just that back then it was called a self portrait and not a selfie.
With the our new selfie sticks that has been created by someone smart enough to make these and mass produce it. We are just trying to innocently take selfies with them and then just happen to swing them around, not caring about the things and people around you. Even though selfie sticks are basically a long stick that holds your phone in place so you can put a timer on it to get the perfect shot.
Which leads me into banning the selfie stick, there are better thing to buy or use your money on then actually going out and buying a selfie stick just to take picture of yourself. Also, if it harms things and people around I'm pretty sure you would want to avoid buying it so you never get in trouble because you hit something or knocked out someone trying to take a selfie with your selfie stick.

3 comments
I totally agree with you. I also dislike taking selfies, and the selfe sticks being used today are totally making us incredibly self'absorberd in our own world
ReplyDeleteFirstly, I agree with you on how sad it is that self-portraits are being called 'selfie'. I mean, are people that lazy that they can't say 'picture' or 'self-portrait'? Anyway, I think selfie sticks are harmless if used in a responsible way. It would be incredibly stupid to use a selfie stick in a museum.
ReplyDeleteFirstly, I agree with you on how sad it is that self-portraits are being called 'selfie'. I mean, are people that lazy that they can't say 'picture' or 'self-portrait'? Anyway, I think selfie sticks are harmless if used in a responsible way. It would be incredibly stupid to use a selfie stick in a museum.
ReplyDelete